Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Yummy Soup!

I just made the best soup ever! It's called "Creamy Squash Soup". Go to Foodnetwork.com and type in "Creamy Squash Soup" in the recipe finder. It's by Paula Deen. I added a bit more stuff to it though to make it my own. I only had about 1 1/2 lbs of butternut squash so I added an acorn squash too. I think butternut might be hard to come by in Cali but you can use bananna or acorn squash or even pumpkin. Squash is squash, right? I added: 1 tsp dried thyme, a couple shakes of Paprika (sorry, I don't measure), a couple pinches of corriander and cumin. ( I would say a couple shakes is probably about 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon. ) Oh, I also added a couple pinches of red pepper flakes. (that really is just a couple of pinches, be careful.) I like the kick. And of course, lots of pepper. It calls for Heavy cream but I substituted it with half & half yo make it more figure-friendly. And if you are vegitarian, you can always use vegtable stock of course. I don't know who is in this family but, just in case you might have vegitarian friends. Leftovers of this makes a great lunch too when you add a side of salad or pepperjack cheese and multi-grain crackers with a slice of tomato on top. It lasts for abot 3-4 days in the fridge but if you have a ton of leftovers, just put it in some mason jars and give it to your neighbors or just cut the recipe in half.Enjoy everyone!

No comments: